With around 400 teens in BHEA, we have a very active teen group! A consistent flow of activities ensures that your teenager (age 13 and up) will have opportunities to get to know other homeschooled teens in BHEA -- and give you a quick reply for that dreaded "socialization" question! Our student council works hard with our Teen coordinator to plan one event each month, from September through April. Some past activities have included bowling, hiking, game nights, picnics, the ropes course at Maryville College, bonfires, laser tag, and many, many dances. We have a fantastic Spring Formal each April for students in grades 9-12.
We also make time in our schedules to help out in the community, such as volunteering for Habitat For Humanity, Blount County Animal Shelter, and Second Harvest Food Bank. No matter what we are doing, we are having fun!
High school students who want to can take advantage of a number of leadership opportunities:
- BHEA Student Council
Qualifications we are looking for in student council members:
1. Must be available for regular meetings on the 1st Wednesday of the month, 12:20-12:50 p.m., beginning on September 4th (spring dates TBD). Meetings will be held during the lunch hour at Everett Hills Baptist Church.
2. Must be a regular participant in teen events.
3. Must be willing to help plan, organize, and implement events.
Applications are considered carefully by a parent advisory board. If you’d like to apply, copy and paste the form below and email your answers to [email protected] by August 19th.
Years in BHEA
Why do you want to be in student council?
What would you bring to the group?
What are your interests and extracurricular activities?
Please carefully consider your time availability before applying. Student council members are expected to attend the majority of meetings and events. Those who do not will be asked to step down. Each year's council members are announced in late August.
- BHEA Student Correspondent to the Daily Times School section:
One BHEA student each year has the opportunity to write an article about the BHEA community to be published, once a month, in the "School Times" section of our local newspaper (www.thedailytimes.com). Please send an email to [email protected] if your child is interested in serving in this capacity. The selection process is completed each August.
- BHEA's Representative to Boys' State and to Girls' State (Email [email protected] for more information)